Sender:
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 22:32:24 -0400
TECH DROPS 4-1 DECISION TO #11NMU

HOUGHTON, Mich. - While Michigan Tech didn't beat 11th-ranked
Northern Michigan in men's ice hockey action Saturday night at the
MacInnes Student Ice Arena, the Huskies put on a good show for the
3,999 in attendance.

The Wildcats wound up with a 4-1 victory, courtesy of four different
goal scorers and some solid goaltending by Craig Kowalski.

Tech's only marker came on an unassisted effort off the stick of
junior Frank Werner at 2:35 of the second period.

"I thought we gave a pretty solid effort," said Huskies Head Coach
Mike Sertich. "We got some really solid performances. We're not happy
with the loss certainly, but we'll use the next week and a half to
get ready for St. Lawrence."

It was 1-0 NMU after one period as Chris Gobert put one home from the
top of the left faceoff circle. The Huskies appeared to even the game
later in the period, however, sophomore Brett Engelhardt's marker was
ruled to be kicked in.

Tech tied the game on Werner's goal early on in the second before NMU
took the lead for good on Terry Harrison's tally at 9:32 of the
second. It was 2-1 after 40 minutes.

The Huskies had a 13-8 shots on goal edge in the third, with several
good chances, but NMU scored twice, including once into an empty net,
to account for the 4-1 final.

Craig Kowalski picked up the win in goal with 30 saves, while Tech's
Cam Ellsworth recorded 25 stops.

NOTES: Tech outshot NMU 31-29 . . . The Huskies were 0-3 on the power
play, while NMU was 0-4 . . . MTU is off next weekend before
returning to action Oct. 18-19 at St. Lawrence . . . Nick Anderson
was named Superior Player of the Game . . . Tech used 14
underclassmen (7 freshmen, 7 sophomores) in the game.