Sender:
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 10:12:36 EDT
The season is underway!

Being in the hockey wilderness for the past few years, it was a treat to see
games in person.  Thus, I can actually write the list about something I saw
first hand.  This new tournament in Dayton was about what I expected as a
neutral viewer.  The first game was close, then the host blew out an
outclassed opponent.  I cannot recap the games completely (we arrive late and
left in the middle of the second game due to a tuckered out three-year-old),
so I will limit myself to general impressions of the first games of
2002-2003.

Although the final was 4-1, Bowling Green and Niagara put on a good show.
These teams skated end-to-end and but for a post here and a bounce there the
score could easily have been reversed.  Both teams had first game issues with
passing, power play and especially endurance (both teams look sluggish by the
middle of the third).  There were some nice goals, and the last 2 BG goals
came in the final 3 minutes to make the score a bit deceptive.  I would
expect that both teams will get better as the season goes along. Of concern
for both is their relative lack of size.  Later in the season, I expect
physical teams will be able to push both teams around.  In short, I would
expect both teams to compete hard, but both finish around .500.

Evaluating the second game is actually a bit harder.  The final was 12-1, as
Miami owned the game.  As you might expect, the shots, powerplays and just
about everything else favored the Redhawks.  USAFA could not keep up, nor did
they get good goaltending (although in fairness, the keeper had very little
help).  In short, it was UGLY.  Is Miami this good?  No.  They will battle
for home ice in the CCHA, but I doubt they can compete with the big boys
(like all the other teams, they have size concerns).  The only big man on the
team (Sipotz) is the typical big, SLOW, defenseman.  He can crush forwards,
if (and that's a big if) he catches them, which he won't do often.  As for
AF, their schedule will provide some opportunities for wins, but I would be
stunned if they can match last seasons .500 overall record.  Given that
Niagara is in their conference, they have a ways to go to be competitive in
the CHA.

As for the Tournament, it seemed to be well presented, although the crowd at
the Nutter Center was a bit sparse (maybe 2500).  With Ohio State on tap for
next year, I would hope for bigger crowds.  My main complaint was the
resurfacing before the warm-up for game 2.  This added an extra 20 minutes to
the night.  But then again, maybe that was due to my son getting tired.

A final note, a big thank you to Air Force Junior Spanky Leonard for making a
little fans evening.  We had come down to ice level between games and David
was waving to the players during warm-ups.  Spanky waved back, which made the
little guys evening, then at the end of warm-ups, he gave David a puck (which
is now sitting in a place of honor in his bedroom).

Just a few comments from Dayton,

William Sangrey
Cornell '87 & '94
LET'S GO RED!!!