Sender:
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 21:01:16 -0400
Wednesday, May 8, 2002

MICHIGAN TECH ADDS FIVE TO HOCKEY ROSTER FOR 2002-03 CAMPAIGN
Group Includes Goaltender, Two Defensemen, Two Forwards

HOUGHTON, Mich. -- Michigan Tech ice boss Mike Sertich announced the
addition of five players to the Huskies' 2002-03 roster today,
bringing the total of new faces for next year to nine.

The group includes goaltender Marty Magers (Plainfield, Ill.);
defensemen Marek Dora (Lednice, Czech Republic) and John Scott (St.
Catherines, Ont.); and forwards Brandon Schwartz (St. Cloud, Minn.)
and Nick Anderson (Winthrop Harbor, Ill.).

"I'm extremely pleased with this group," said Sertich, who will begin
his third season with MTU in 2002-03. "We've filled our needs and
each of the young man will fill a needed role on our club."

Anderson played the 2001-02 campaign with the Chicago Steel of the
United States Hockey League. In 61 total games, he led the team in
scoring with 53 points on 22 goals and 31 assists.

Dora had a standout season on defense with the Danville Wings of the
North American Hockey League in 2001-02. He played in 50 games and
had 17 points on two goals and 15 assists. Dora earned a spot on the
NAHL All-Rookie Team in 2000-01 while playing for Danville.

Magers is currently competing for the Omaha Lancers of the United
States Hockey League. He helped his team to the league's regular
season title, and his club is now currently vying to win the Clark
Cup (post-season USHL champion). Magers has a 21-7-0 record with a
1.62 goals against average. In addition, his .927 saves percentage is
the best in the USHL and his 10 shutouts have set a new league
standard.

Schwartz is currently involved in the USHL's Clark Cup finals as a
member of the Sioux City Musketeers. He is tops in the USHL playoffs
with 10 goals and second in points with 12. He also had an
outstanding regular season. In 57 games, Schwartz finished fifth
overall in the USHL point race with 65 and he tied for second in the
league in game-winning goals with eight. All total, Schwartz played
in 57 regular-season contests with 30 goals and 35 assists.

Scott spent the past season as a member of the Chicago Freeze of the
NAHL. He played in 52 games and had four goals and eight assists,
good for 12 total points. Scott also played for the Freeze in 2000-01
and was named the club's Rookie of the Year.

Newest Additions To MTU Hockey Roster

Nick Anderson, 6-0, 170, Right Wing
2001-02 Team: Chicago Steel (USHL)
Coach Sertich: "Nick has solid skills and will add playmaking ability
to our rightside."

Marek Dora, 6-1, 190, Defenseman
2001-02 Team: Danville (NAHL)
Coach Sertich: "Marek is a big, strong defenseman with excellent
skating and puck skills."

Marty Magers, 6-1, 180, Goaltender
2001-02 Team: Omaha (USHL)
Coach Sertich: "We expect Marty to come in and challenge for the
starting job. He's very talented with sound technique."

Brandon Schwartz, 5-11, 208, Left Wing
2001-02 Team: Sioux City (USHL)
Coach Sertich: "Brandon will add both grit and skill to our left
side. He's a power forward with nice hands and vision."

John Scott, 6-7, 235, Defense
2001-02 Team: Chicago Freeze (NAHL)
Coach Sertich: "John is a big, strong kid with excellent potential."

Notes: Schwartz and Magers are facing each other for the USHL's Clark
Cup title. Currently, the series is tied 1-1, with game three slated
for Thursday (May 9) in Sioux City . . . John Scott stands 6-7 and
could be the tallest player in the WCHA next year. MTU had the
league's smallest player this year in 5-5 Jon Pittis . . . Marek
Dora's brother Lukas currently plays for the Denver Pioneers . . .
Nick Anderson's mother and father (Sandy & Glenn) are from the
Calumet area . . . MTU previously added four players to its 2002-03
roster, including center B.J. Radovich (Hermantown, Minn.), forward
Chris Conner (Westland, Mich.), center Taggart Desmet (Strathmore,
Alta.), and defenseman Nick Toneys (Waupaca, Wis.).

For a .pdf version of this release, visit michigantechhuskies.com, follo