Sender:
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 13:48:52 -0700
On Sun, 6 Jan 2002 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Americans will get more interested in US college hockey when more
> Americans are playing and the sport is more national and not just a regional
> niche

Because I love hockey in general and US college hockey in particular I'd
love to see that happen, but the fact is that much of the US does not
and will not have what I'd call "hockey culture".  Part of it requires the
appropriate weather, with back yard and neighbourhood ice in much the way
American kids all over the country play ball (of all types).  Putting NHL
teams in southern cities may create fan interest but there still won't be
opportunities there for what happens all over Canada and some parts of the
northern US for wide participation in the sport.  I'd love to hear
suggestions about how to increase interest in the sport, but I'd
concentrate on the likely areas for increased popularity-I learned that
when I was in sales, it is much more useful to discern where your
customers come from than to try and sell something people don't understand
or want.

Arthur Berman
North Vancouver, BC