Sender:
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 15:44:45 -0700
I think Larry has it all wrong here.  If they paid more attention to this
tournament in the States it would be the best promotion college hockey
could have.  The US team (which is the one which would be followed by
Americans) is composed almost entirely of NC$$ players.  Even on the
broadcasts in Canada team affiliations are prominently mentioned.  Anyone
here is aware now (and probably were not before) that Mike Cammalleri
plays at an NC$$ school.  Canada did not play the US this year (they were
in different groups and the US did not make the medal round) but in past
years the Canadian broadcasts mentioned school affiliations for players.
On yesterday's gold medal game Chuck Kobasew's MVP in last year's NC$$
tournament was mentioned.  This is great publicity in a place where
college games are not seen or covered.

Having said that I did post previously that I don't favour interrupting
the schedule at holiday time.  I do think, however, that one of the many
sports channels in the States would do well to cover at least the US games
at the World Juniors.  It is great hockey, much more entertaining than the
domestic junior games here or the NC$$ IMO.

Arthur Berman
North Vancouver, BC