Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:05:47 -0500
"Anthony J. Buffa" wrote:

> A quick question:
>
> RPI recently won a game in double OT in their annual Christmas tourney.
> I vaguely recall that even though 2 OTs were needed to determine the
> winner for tournament purposes, this will be regarded as a one-OT tie
> for official NCAA records. Is this correct?

No, no, no, no, and no.  And again, no.

This is a net-legend that ranks up there with Craig Shergold and kidney harvesting.  The NCAA uses only the end result of the game for its records; there are no allowances made for regular-season tournament games that last longer than five minutes of
OT.  If you win, you get a win.  If you lose, you get a loss.  If you tie, you get a tie.  So RPI gets the W, Quinnipiac gets the L, and nobody has the result "adjusted" to a tie.  And, had Ryan Shields waited until, say, the six-minute mark of OT to
knock home the winning goal against UMass-Amherst the next night, it still would have officially been RPI with the W and UMass-Amherst with the L.

The only wrinkle in this is that tournaments are now (as of last season, I think) allowed to use the shoot-out to determine winners after a five-minute OT.  A game that goes to a shoot-out is officially considered a tie for both teams.  For example,
in the Badger Hockey Showdown consolation game, Wisconsin defeated Colorado College in the shoot-out round after the teams had skated to a 3-3 overtime tie.  In this case, Wisconsin does not officially get the W nor Colorado College the L.  It's a
tie for both.

--
Bill Fenwick                            Email:  [log in to unmask]
Digicomp Research                       Voice:  (607) 273-5900 ext 32