Sender:
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:00:24 -0600
7bit
From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: "Moller, Edward N." <[log in to unmask]>
Ed, very helpful insights on accounting developments, and interesting.

Basically, relying on published data of state schools for past years is
pointless unless we know whether the school was already reporting in sync with
the new principles (which we probably wouldn't) or we're looking at a
comparative restatement of prior years' results, which probably isn't required.
Whether Michigan State really "hasn't lost money since the mid-1990s" depends on
whether the author of the article Bret cited took his "facts" from the file or
from properly restated data.  If 6/30/01 was the first year-end for the new
requirements, we've seen almost no data thus far under the "approved" methods.

boB