Sender:
From:
"Anthony J. Buffa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:44:41 -0800
Happy Holidays to all,

I vaguely recall an "independent" audit of D-I schools back in the 90's.
Don't ask me for a reference :-) However I recall vividly (well, as
vividly as I can recall things these days) that it was proudly pointed
out to me by a colleague from UMich. There were only four (maybe three?)
D-I schools that actually produced a (real) profit from athletics... one
was UMich. Not sure of the others, perhaps Nebraska and Alabama??? But
Michigan's profit was mostly based on filling the football stadium with
100 000+ six or seven times during the season, as I recall.

Let's face it, the cost of a ticket to a particular sport at a
particular school goes to supporting other sports that don't generate
revenue on their own. If we believe in intercollegiate sports as part of
the college experience, then it makes sense to fund these. I guess the
theory is true fans of college X who happen to love college hockey, dont
mind donating some of their ticket price to support crew or women's
basketball or underwater basketweaving at college X.

Most of you know while I like am a fan of D-I hockey, I certainly dont
like the way it is run. Too much pressure, money, recruiting scandals,
etc, to suit me. If we could start all over and do away with athletic
scholarships, high priced coaches and unrealistic alums who want to win
at all costs, I'd be extremely happy. Lots of luck on those scores :-)

My 44 Lire,

Tony Buffa
RPI '64  Go Engineers!!!!