Sender:
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 07:16:23 -0800
From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
> I recall I asked this very question years ago and no one had a
> definitive answer. How many teams are allowed to be D-I in a D-III
> school? Clearly the St. Lawrence example means that a school can have a
> D-I team of EACH gender. I hope RPI goes that way with their women's
> team.
> Tony Buffa
> RPI '64

I think as many DI's and DII's can "play down" in a DIII league as want to.
 It only gets sticky if the NC$$ tournament becomes a factor.

Basically it appears to me that the NC$$ rewards you for "playing up"
(DII's and DIII's playing in DI leagues - like SLU, UMD, WSU ...) though
they only allow the 1 DI sport in men's and 1 in women's.  You can switch
those sports (I think Wayne did recently).

But I also remember reading the NC$$ was not keen on the whole idea of not
playing in your division.  Afterall, the rules for a division, like
athletic scholarships et cetera, make for a very uneven athletic
department, which doesn't sound like a great idea for students or
administrators!

take care  -Richard

=====
                    \