Sender:
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 13:48:01 +0000
From:
Nathan Eric Hampton <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Dear John, et al.
" Despite the fact
that anyone in town could pick up the game over the air without even
having cable, the place with all the satellite dishes plans to turn
every TV in the joint to the Utes-Tarheels game.  Tell me again how
capitalism means more choices for the consumer?'

You asked for it, there are economists on this list: Suppose one TV was
turned to the hockey game from the basketball game. Would the number of
happy people (hockey fans) out number/weigh the number of unhappy people
(basketball fans)? If yes, then a market mechanism (you pay them for the
right to change the channel) would improve social welfare. If not, then
you are stuck with what you are stuck with. Would a bar owner be happy
advertising "Watch college hockey on TV HERE"?

What people, particularly on this list, often forget is that college
hockey fans are a pitiful minority. This talk of college hockey
expansion is a JOKE. It ain't gonna happen because the fan base is not
that large. Where is the NCAA Men's (and Women's?) Basketball Final --
on major TV. Where is the NCAA Ice Hockey Final -- on cable ESPN. The
facts are that (1) most sports fans not only don't care about college
hockey, but they don't know anything about it; and (2) those of us who
do care, do so, so vehemently and emotionally, that we forget to notice
that others are twirling their index finger around their temples and
pointing at us with the other hand. We may not like the facts, but that
is the way the world is.

Nathan Eric Hamtpon