Sender:
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 09:49:24 -0700
To: "Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Edward wrote:

>Somebody needs to tell WROL's Bernie Corbett and Tom Ryan that there are
>two teams playing.  Their three stars are always exclusively BU
>players.  The best player last night wore a dark sweater.   Their three
>stars:
>    1.    Albie O'Connell - 2 goals
>    2.    Mike Sylvia - 2 goals
>    3.    Tom Noble - 22 saves
>
>My three stars:
>    1.    Tim Lovell - 2 goals
>    2.    O'Connell
>    3.    Sylvia
>    Note:    My third star would have been Regan, if not for a bad fifth
>goal to freshman Nick Gillis.

Although I would agree with you that Corbett and Ryan always choose BU
players as their stats, it is the "Terrier Hockey Network" or whatever the
heck they call it, almost entirely financed by BU.

Again, I'm not saying that they should be so obviously biased, but it's
been clear for years that the broadcast is intended for BU fans -- almost
all of the off-ice banter, anecdotes, and interviews involve BU, and the
announcers are *significantly* more juiced whent the Terriers score.

Also, would Brian Regan even have warranted a "fourth star" if it were
offered? Most people told me that the entire third period was dominated by
BU, although not too many shots on goal were made. Only 6 shots in fact,
with 2 let in by Regan. Most likely these were goals were not his fault and
may have been unstoppable, but allowing five goals makes it tough to award
a star.

And on your list, why award the second star to O'Connell, when it was
Sylvia's first goal that tied the game up in the first period (with under 2
minutes left), and his second goal that turned out to be the game winner?

I am curious about Lovell, however. I have heard many great things about
his skills and am anxious to see him play someday. Of the few criticisms I
heard regarding Friday's game however, was that Lovell wasn't a total ice
player; yes, he was a great skater and puckhandler and a true offensive
threat who scored two goals, but what about opportunities to serve the puck
up to other players -- either Lovell couldn't get the puck to other
players, or his teammates couldn't find themselves open (more likely).
However, considering the fact that BU would have put considerable pressure
on Lovell, especially after scoring a second goal, you would think that
Lovell's linemates would find ways to get open in scoring position...

Which leads me to WROL's #3 star, Noble. He allowed only 2 goals after
giving up one to Lovell less than a minute into the game. I'd call that
some serious composure. And given the talent that people claim Lovell has,
he kept Lovell's line to only two goals. I'd agree that he would be
deserving of a star.

Anyone else have comments on this... ?

Jason Greene
KEKOA digital design