Sender:
From:
Robert J Constantine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 18:24:12 -0500
To the grieving amongst us:

It seems that the observations of almost all commentators revolves around
the depreciation of "awareness" of Hockey East vis-a-vis the other
leagues in the collective attentions of future recruits. Most folks seem
to feel that NESN's unfortunate and ill-timed decision will adversely affect
recruiting in a lasting and fundamental way. Wayne's comment about young
players from far-flung realms who observe HE hockey via satellite now being cut
off is especially apt.

My protest over NESN's actions involved this angle as well. I wonder how
well aware the channel is about the depth of penetration of either the
direct hookup, or satellite reception, of their telecasts. The problem
for NESN unfortunately is, as Mike Machnik and others have stated, there
may be even more immediate "unsubscriptions" from the channel as a result
of their action. NESN's concern about lowered profits due to fewer
subscriptions (due to downturns of Bruins and Red Sox, in part) will be
met with even *more* defections, thus lowering receipts even more. (To
quote Mr. R. Dangerfield, "it's a vicious circle, I'll tell ya").

What can be done? In our corporate-downsizable times, there may be few
answers. The abruptness of NESN's announcement of the cancellation of
telecasts indicates that their management figures that there *are* no
answers. Does this open the door for schools such as Umass-Amherst or BC which
have "Big-time" Div. 1 hoop and/or football and may want to produce their
own broadcasts from their "high profile" presences? Can Hockey East
produce their own, or rig together a network confederation of sorts
based on the stations in each local area which have put on hockey
broadcasts in the past? Do we pass the hat at games?

The fact that this has occured so summarily is distressing, because it
represents difficult times ahead for other "small market" broadcast
scenarios, in other areas. I wish my crystal ball would clear up soon so I
could know.....

Bob C.

Robert J. Constantine                | >>  The Corner Man  <<
Chemistry Library                    |
Parsons Hall                         |  "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit
University of New Hampshire          |   of Hockey"
Durham,  NH  03824                   |
(603) 862-1083                       |  "It ain't Snively, but it's home"
E-mail: [log in to unmask]          |   (The Whitt at UNH) -1996-97-