Sender:
From:
Howard Quimby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 1996 13:01:51 -0500
Comments:
> Merrimack followers would probably prefer that those players who
> aren't interested in playing not step on the bus too. :-)  But
> Howard, your characterization of what happened is grossly overstated
> and quite unfair.

Mike, you are correct.  I didn't realize that Philbin had been given a DQ.
That's part of the reason why I was so upset last night -- It looked like two
UNH DQ's for MC's one, and that would have been ridiculous.  It is unfortunate
that Boguniecki picked up his DQ, but again, those are the rules.  I don't
think anyone can disagree with the call even though Bogey's intentions were
admirable.

You are right in saying that the third was played cleanly.  Although I might
argue that UNH was going out of its way to be polite in the period.  ;)

I also didn't like that the referees did very little to break up Johnson and
Filipowicz until after DeGregorio and two uniformed police officers took the
ice.  If the referees had moved to break them up, it wouldn't have continued
for as long as it did, it likely wouldn't have been fighting, and it would
have been resolved before there was even a need for them to get involved.  Do
you think Taylor, Jones and Keough were right in just letting it go?  I was
personally happy to see DeGregorio step in because it was clear that the on-
ice officials weren't moving to bring the incident to a close.

That's why it's tough to see Filipowicz get the DQ for fighting.  He was
really just holding off Johnson and if no one steps in to pull Johnson back,
of course it's going to continue.  Even after they were seperated, Johnson was
still trying to get at Filipowicz as Filipowicz was pretty much looking around
as though asking, "Would somebody please do something to get the guy off my
back?  I just want to go to the penalty box and get on with the game."

Hockey is a tough and physical game but this UNH fan is growing sensitive to
the cheap stuff that seems to follow a high ranking.  Then-HE-leading-scorer
Tom Nolan gets taken out in the weekend series with Maine, Mowers spends the
Championship game of Governor's Cup with a bulls-eye on his head and sticks
wrapped around his neck and last night Philbin takes a run at Matile.  Just
because you can't beat a team doesn't make it alright to *beat* that team.  :)

Anyway, tonight's game should be a tough re-match.  Merrimack still has a
pretty good club and like you said, they get a couple bounces, keep it close
and maybe they have a chance of picking up the win.  It favors UNH to be at
home tonight, but they'll also be missing the "infuriating catalyst" to spark
the effort.  Here's hoping that UNH doesn't think it will be an easy outing...