Sender:
From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 06:24:53 -0700
To: Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Mike Machnik wrote:

> At 4:19 PM -0700 10/31/96, Arthur Berman wrote:

> > > He was cut during camp this pre-season.
> > >
> > I have a question: Did Peca lose his scholarship as a result of getting
> > cut?
>
> I honestly don't know one way or the other.

As Mike probably inferred, the reason I wanted this information was to
point out that it is at least possible that Peca lost his scholarship.
Occasionally some people complain about players who leave school early
for the pros.  I believe that, at the big schools like BU or Michigan for
example, the players are nothing more than underpaid employees.  This is a
blot on what is supposed to be an activity adjunct to education, IMO of
course.  If education is the priority four year scholarships should be
given, or one year ones dependent on acheivement in the classroom, not in
the rink.  At the big programs the players are every bit as much
professionals as junior players in Canada.

This is not, I hope it is clear, at jab at Merrimack.  It applies to other
schools including the one I favour, BU.

If I don't respond to replies on this topic for a bit it is because I'm
leaving for Kamloops for a few days tomorrow.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]