Sender:
From:
Neal Joffee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 12:34:17 CST
First, congratulations to the Michigan Wolverines, Red Berensen, and
all of the UMich fans!  Congrats also to everyone involved with the CC
program!  I'll start with the 2 good things I have to say about ESPN's
coverage.  First of all, they aired the game.  Secondly, they talked to
Hobey Baker Award winner, Brian Bonin, in the first period.  Outside of
that, their coverage left a lot to be desired!  As someone has already
stated, I too wish ESPN would have done more coverage about the schools and
their hockey programs during intermissions.  It would have been nice to see
stories put together and aired by ESPN about the events of the season that
led up to the two teams arriving in the big game.

As for the commentary and calling of the game, well, I was extremely
disappointed in the way ESPN made it sound as if Michigan was expected to
blow Colorado College off the ice.  They made it sound as if nobody would
have thought that CC would even get to the final game.  They portrayed it
as a mismatch from the very beginning!  How untrue!  This game was
set up to be a classic!  But the ESPN announcers kept referring to the fact
that Michigan was the big favorite and they kept implying that CC would be
lucky to even keep the game close.  I didn't hear ESPN mention that CC was
the #1 seed in their bracket, whereas Michigan was the #2 seed!  There is
one other thing that one of the ESPN announcers said that really irritated
me.  One of them said, "this game is just the hors d'oeuvres for the main
course to come later this evening."  Of course, he was referring to the
NCAA men's basketball semi-finals.  I can't believe that ESPN would say
something like that, especially since CBS had the rights to the basketball
coverage.  ESPN wasn't even going to be showing any of the games.   Perhaps
they should focus on what they are showing:  the hockey game!  Now, don't
get me wrong...I am in no way suggesting that I'd be happier with no
coverage of the final four.  I am thrilled that ESPN showed it at all.  I
only wish their coverage was more informative for those people who may have
been watching it who don't normally follow college hockey!
--Neal Joffee
--Neal Joffee
GO GOPHERS!!! -- "Minnesota's Pride On Ice"