Sender:
From:
"Robert L. Dunn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 16:45:09 -0500
On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, Mark J. Sonnier wrote:

> At 12:05 PM 3/29/96 +0500, Garrett Lanzy, Michigan Tech wrote:
>
> >In restrospect, I'm not that suprised that something like this could happen,
> >given that the goal lines had to be moved to meet the NCAA standard of 15
> >feet.  Thus, the pegs had to be put at a different place than "usual", and
> >then Murphy's law came into play.  :-(
>
> Excellent point, as I think we'd collectively forgotten the goal line
> movement aspect.

But how long has the Riverfront Coliseum known that they would be hosting
the NCAA Championship?  The rules regarding 15 foot endlines and the
required net pegs have been around for more than a couple years.  So why
wait until the day of the first game to drill the appropriate peg holes?
It appears to be a simple, but costly oversight on the part of the arena
and event staff.

> Here's a rather oddball question.  As long as I've played hockey (goalie,
> BTW) I've always used the goal "pegs" to secure the net.  These are the ones
> with the little button on the bottom that only poke into the ice about a
> half inch or so.  The arenas seem to be adopting the drilled ice "anchors"
> to secure the nets.  (Obviously I'm revealing something intensely personal
> here: I'm not an "arena" caliber goalie!)  The advantage of the anchors is a
> consistent "spot" of the net on the goal line.  Disadvantages include the
> PITA factor and possible brine/crude oil strikes if drilled in the wrong spot.
>
> Maybe the folks in Cincy should've used the old style pegs like we do in
> shinny hockey...

Nice attempt, but the NCAA rules dictate the flexible pegs (usually red
hard rubber) that slip into the peg holes and connect to the net frame.
Like I said above, it was a simple oversight that unfortunately ended in
a disaster.

---
Robb Dunn                                          |GO BEARS!
The University of Michigan                         [log in to unmask]
Division of Kinesiology/Department of Athletics    |W: 313-764-9429
Sport Facilities Research Laboratory               |   313-764-4597 FAX