Sender:
From:
Robin Lock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 14:24:18 EST
I am generally in full agreement with the anti-tossing faction, particularly
when dealing with currently or formerly live objects.  A fish found its
way onto the ice at the recent SLU-Clarkson match - a rare display from
the SLU fans - and my 11 year-old son thought it was a pretty cruel thing
to do to a fish.  The game winning goal was greeted with a shower of plastic
cups - and act which some have excused as appropriate given the recent
suffering of SLU fans at this game.  I'm not sure what's so gratifying
about seeing your half consumed soda/pop staining the ice.

On the other hand, a former SLU tradition which has ebbed in recent years is
the rubber chicken which used to make it's appearance after a first goal.  It
was tossed onto the ice, but was attached to a string which allowed its
"owner" to reel it back in.  No harm to the ice or players (other than
possibly egos), no delay of the game, no work for the maintence crew.  Seems
to avoid most of the objections of us "non-throwers".  Sure - it's intent
is to "ridicule" an opposing player, but the effect isn't nearly as
objectionable as some of the verbal barbs I've heard "tossed" to the ice.

Robin Lock
St. Lawrence University