Sender:
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 09:25:57 -0700
Sean Pickett writes:

>Sauer and Parker have had to work at keeping their teams among the
>elite in college hockey.  In fact, this year is the first time since
>becoming Wisconsin's head coach that Sauer will likely have a team
>with a losing record.  Even though both coaches took over great
>programs, they have kept them among the elite.  I personally think
>that keeping a program among the elite is much harder than building a
>program.

Then again, how many kids in Boston grow up going to the Beanpot, dreaming
about playing for BU or BC? How many of these kids even think about playing
for schools such as Lowell or Merrimack? Or what about the other
"factories" out there, such as Minnesota, Michigan, and Maine?

As with any college sport, there are two kinds of schools. Those that get
to pick from the litter, and those that have to chase down and convince a
potential player that they can provide a good opportunity for them.

Aside from being the object of some kid's dreams, the "big" schools also
have another major benefit going for them: connections.

With better pipelines to the pros, better scouting contacts in the Junior
leagues, and now, increased contacts in Europe, the top programs gain major
advantages against other programs that might be younger or smaller, or just
have a smaller recruiting budget.

If you mean that the big schools have a harder time recruiting because
"it's hard to get 3 of the top 5 recruits every year," then perhaps they do
have a tougher job. God forbid that a school like Maine would dominate the
league no matter what recruits they got (oh, wait... Maine was doing just
that before Walsh's suspension, weren't they?).

Ask yourself this, H-L'ers: While Maine and BU may engage in a battle royal
over the signing rights to the next Paul Kariya, think about schools like
Ferris State, North Dakota, or Union, which have a tough enough time simply
being identified by potential recruits.

greenie

S P O O N ! !
(go BU)