Sender:
From:
"Robert L. Dunn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 14:54:12 -0500
To: Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, Mike Machnik wrote:

> Perhaps the most unusual thing about Air Force's Cadet Ice Arena is the
> fact that it has netting not only behind the two goals, but also all
> the way around the glass - at least, on the side opposite the benches.  I
> don't remember seeing it on the side with the benches.

I haven't been to Cadet Ice Arena, but USA Hockey did fax us an article
from the Gazette Telegraph (I'm guessing it's a Colorado Springs
newspaper) detailing the arena netting.  [Our lab helped design the
monofilament, aka fishing line, netting with USA Hockey's support.]

According to the article (no date given, though the fax came last week),
the netting was suppose to completely enclose the ice by "this weekend."
Maybe they didn't meet their goal.

> This was apparently done this season after an injury to a baby or
> small child in the stands who was hit with a puck.

Apparently, a 4 year old was hit ("the puck had so much backspin that it
hit him twice in the head") on a clearing shot that went over the side glass.
Amazing for our litigious society, the family hasn't sued.

> What is perhaps surprising is that this hasn't been done in more
> rinks.  It may be something to consider, that we may see it more and
> more as time goes by.

If the monofilament netting takes off, I think you will see more arenas
take similar action.  Unlike traditional nylon netting, the monofilament is
suppose to make you forget you're looking through something.  As the
academy's superintendent stated, "It's strictly a safety device."

> I'm ambivalent on the whole idea.  I noticed it when walking into the
> rink Friday morning, but I forgot it was there during both games.  And
> I can understand why it was put up.  I wonder what other people who
> have seen many CC or Air Force games at the Arena think of it.

Your comments mirror those of others.  As long as you're watching the
game, you forget that their is actually netting in front of you.

Again, I can't comment for the people of Colorado Springs, but this
article made it clear that not everyone was happy.  In fact, one CC fan
started a "take down the net" cheer after the netting first appeared
right before the holiday break.  The reporter's informal survey of fans
on the west side (net side) had an overwhelming majority against the netting.

With USA Hockey's Risk Management Committee supporting the netting, we'll
probably see more unhappy fans as arenas attempt to keep them safe.  I
know of smaller community arenas that have already enclosed the entire
ice surface with netting above the glass, but the Air Force Academy is
probably the first spectator facility to take this measure.

---
Robb Dunn                                          |GO BEARS!
The University of Michigan                         [log in to unmask]
Division of Kinesiology/Department of Athletics    |W: 313-764-9429
Sport Facilities Research Laboratory               |   313-764-4597 FAX