Sender:
From:
"Patricia W. Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 09:42:00 EST

I am a rabid MSU hockey fan.  My second most favorite hockey team is
LSSU.  LSSU has a classy program that represents the state exceedingly
well.  I helped cheer on the Lakers against U of M in the NCAA regionals
at Munn Arena (1993 I believe it was).  The U of M fans were doing their
usual negative "cheering" which consisted of abusing the LSSU goalie.  He
got the last laugh when the Lakers scored in overtime.  He turned to the
abusive Wolverines in the crowd and lifted his arms high in the air and
celebrated "in their faces".  During the following game, U of M fans
came and sat behind me and my husband and proceeded to kick our behinds
(literally).  I guess that is their way of pouting.  We had to move from
the seats we had tickets for to other seats.  Our sin was that we were
wearing MSU colors and had cheered for LSSU.

To take the high road, however, I thoroughly enjoyed John Haeussler's
analysis of the recent MSU-U of M game.  He is obviously a true hockey
fan.  He is a U of M fan that I have a lot in common with.

I enjoy watching college hockey.  I appreciate a pretty goal, whoever
scores it.  The first goal by Anson Carter was one of the sweetest goals
I have ever seen.  Johns Haeussler's comments on it were enjoyable.
Having tried to play hockey myself, it is awesome to witness Carter's talent.

Our local TV reported that Hockey Night in Canada had a camera there to
film Anson.  That could be part of the motivation that spurred him to the
level he played at that night.  It was great to see him give a few hits
in return for all he endures.

A few comments on the U of M team.  Berenson has really developed the
program.  He is an outstanding coach.  The U of M progam is very
respected.  They are an excellent skating team.  They are incredibly
fast.  It took everything MSU had to beat them.  I think in the final
analysis, MSU just wanted it more.  And surprise, surprise the MSU fans
were a factor!  Home ice made a difference for a change. (I am one of the
few fans that cheers every game.)

As to the remarks about Munn being a hole in the wall...why bother
dignifying that with a response.  Sounds like sour grapes.  U of M should
build a new arena.
--
Patricia Scott                      Phone:  (517) 373-2376
Manager, School Services            Fax:    (517) 335-6703