Sender:
From:
"Steven R. Glazewski" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 08:15:00 EST
Scott D. Hartz ([log in to unmask]) said:

--------------- (begin qoted material)
Thank you for the compliment on Milwaukee and the Bradley Center, however if
you
wanted to read anything about it in the "Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel" you had
go to PAGE 8  of the sports section and no pictures, no scores/stats from
other
games (CCHA/WCHA) from the weekend, no conference standings!  This paper
feels
that the standings from the NC$$ cross country tourny are more important
along
with the local bowling scores, than any college hockey coverage.  The
Minneapolis and Detroit papers have 1000% better coverage than the Milwaukee
paper does! (its a shame that Milwaukee will have the WCHA final five and
the
NC$$ finals here and NO NEWSPAPER COVERAGE!)
--------------- (end quoted material)

To which I heartily agree.  In fact, throughout my Air Force career, which
only
included San Antonio and Dayton, I've had to (until I discovered Hockey-L
and
the WWW was popularized) visit the local library for back issues of the
Detroit
and Boston papers (sunday only, usually) to find anything about college
hockey.
The Dayton papers sometimes (20%) will post a one line score for Miami's
game.
I am surprised by the lack of coverage in the Milwaukee paper, though.  That
probably has something to do with the Badgers success in CC and (to this
point)
...well, failure...in hockey.  I remember many quarter-to-half page spreads
on
UW hockey and the WCHA opponents.  But that was when UW was rated top-10 and
in
contention for the MacNaughton Cup.

I've tried to get local papers to at least pull the scores off the wire
before,
but that was usually ignored (can you just picture the expression on the
guy's
face in San Antonio? That was pre-Dallas Stars), though I usually bugged the
sports editors on Saturday and Sunday mornings to get them for me on the
phone.

Thank God for the great web sites of today and the people of hockey-l!

Steve G