Sender:
From:
Roger Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 10:04:11 -0500
Okay, I'll come to the defense of my friend, Scott, on most of his comments:

It was my first trip to Munn as well, and overall I was impressed with the
arena.  It most definitely is nicer than Goggin @ Miami, Ferris' (I'm not
even going to try to spell the name of that place off the top of my head),
Bowling Green's, and the Rink @ OSU.  There is no competition in terms of
"better seating" between Yost's corner seats and Munn's (I always feel bad
for fans who must sit in Yost's corner seats).  However, I like the
atmosphere at Yost much better--the tall ceiling, the old monstrous
building, the bright lighting (Yost doesn't have the option to dim the
lights over the seats), and the loud fans (I'm not going to defend the
vulgarness of many of the fans in Yost's student sections, but some of us
who sit over there are not rude nor crude, and we are trying to get those
fans knock off at least the worst of it -- for example, please notice that
the words being said after the C-YA cheer are not as bad as last year, or,
at least, with different people saying different things no one can
understand any of them ;-).

However, I was not impressed at two things:

1.  Standing Room.  For those not familiar with Munn, the standing room
area is the concourse around the arena, but there is an extra row of seats
above the ground floor, so that those in standing room (unless they are
over 6 feet, which I am most definitely not) cannot see the game.  Near
us, a row of students at the top row stood up to obscure the sight lines
of the Michigan fans behind them, but thanks to the help of the cooler
heads in the crowd and a MSU police officer, everyone got to enjoy seeing
(most of) the game.  Couldn't the folks at Munn put a 6" or so riser
around the outside of the wall so that those who have to be in standing
room could be up a little bit higher and could thus see the game?  The
fans in front of us were very nice and cordial to us, and I thank them for
being good hosts. The State fan who paints his whole body and dances
around at every game even came over and introduced himself to us (well, to
Scott, as he is the most recognizable amongst us) and said hello (proof,
that yes, even avid State & UofM fans can be civil to each other ;-).

2.  The University of Michigan Athletic Ticket Office.  These people are
the definition of "the right hand knows not what the left hand is doing."
Scott's comment about the ticket office only having SRO tickets is
slightly inaccurate.  What was accurate was that the UofM Ticket Office
WOULDN'T SELL to Scott anything BUT SRO.  Before the season started, Scott
went to the ticket office to buy Away game tickets for the MSU and 4 other
games for us--at 8 AM on the FIRST DAY that the Ticket Office had away
tickets for sale.  They told him that he could NOT buy seats for
Munn--only SRO tickets.  We found out just two weeks ago that the UofM
ticket office made Munn seats available to those UofM ticket buyers who
bought tickets for 6 or more away games at once.  Now, it wouldn't
surprise me if that line is a bunch of BS, but that's what a friend who
got seats at Munn was told by a ticket agent.  What irritates me is that
Scott was never told that seats at Munn were available "if..."  He left
the Ticket Office with the information that SRO was the only thing UofM
had available for Munn.

Whew, I've been wanting to gripe about the UofM Ticket Office for 6 years.
I'm glad I finally got the chance.

Michigan next faces the Falcons on Saturday in Bowling Green.  This game
was originally scheduled to be played on December 14.  We'll be there,
and again this time we have General Admission tickets, but at least in BG
that means we can sit down ;-) ...

Drop the Puck!
roger :)

Roger L. Spurgeon                                       [log in to unmask]
U of Mich Medical Center        http://flicker.hosp.med.umich.edu/rls