Sender:
From:
Joe Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 13:32:20 -0400
    Maine radio

Thanks to Wayne Smith and Mike Machnik for their kind
words in their posts about the choice of Dan Hannigan
to replace me as the Black Bears' radio announcer.

Mike's enthusiasm for college hockey is exceeded only
by his penchant for hyperbole!  I, too, enjoyed the games
we worked together last year.

I look forward to being a fan of this wonderful sport and
step away from the microphone without regret.  It has been
a terrific eight years and I'm thankful to have been an
eyewitness to so much of what will become state of Maine
sports folklore.  It is truly ironic that the first game I
broadcast on my own was Maine's first-ever NCAA tournament
game at Michigan State in 1987, when Gary Thorne's commitments
with the Mets during spring made it impossible for him to get
to East Lansing.  I consider myself fortunate to have been in
the right place at the right time and to have been able to ride
along as things got more and more exciting over the
subsequent years.

Incidentally, it's not quite a "retirement."  WZON has been kind
enough to allow me to broadcast some high school hockey and
basketball, which should be enjoyable.

Dan Hannigan, who's a Dartmouth graduate, will be
terrific.  Like Wayne, I'll try to convince him to make use of
hockey-l.  I can't say enough about what a wonderful forum this is and
what a great resource it can be for an announcer--as I'm
sure Ken Landau and Adam Wodon, among others, will agree.