Sender:
From:
"Sara M. Fagan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 14:41:04 -0400
> From: IN%"[log in to unmask]"  "DAVID GLASGOW"    17-OCT-1995 14:10
>
> Come on people, hockey is a physical game.  It's not golf.  Fighting
> happens to be something that comes along with the game.  What's the
> drawback of fighting?  They're grown men.  If they want to fight, LET 'EM
> FIGHT!!

I strongly disagree.  Fighting and hockey are not the same thing.  A fight
could break out between 2 golfers but that doesn't make it part of that game.
Just because some hockey players fight does not make it part of hockey.
Fighting is not appropriate. Period.

I am not sure that I agree with the length of suspensions but I do feel that
actions need to be taken to be sure that fighting is removed from hockey.  We
are talking about suspensions due to fighting penalties and not roughing
penalties, correct? A player has stepped way over the line when it has passed
roughing and considered "fighting".

Can someone who watches all 4 conferences/leagues give an opionion as to
whether fighting is more prevalent in one conference?  I know that in the 20+
years that I have followed the ECAC hockey I have seen a drop in the
fighting.  In the ECAC, a player is suspended for the remainder of the game
and for the next game for fighting, if I am not mistaken.  What type of
suspensions are imposed by the other conferences?

As they say - just MHO -

Sara
SLU '77