Sender:
From:
"Andria L. Hunter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 1995 01:08:29 -0400
Richard Hungerford ([log in to unmask]) writes:

>I've been able to talk with some people at Northeastern about
>their pending demotion to a club level team and they seem very
>positive that they may be able to keep NU at the varsity level.
>The problem Northeastern is facing is one of gender equity.  The
>feeling is that the women's ice hockey team, particularly with a
>newly renovated Matthews Arena, is a big plus for the school, and
>should be kept a varsity level sport.
>
>I would like to encourage anybody who cares for the good of
>women's ice hockey, and especially NU alumni and other alums from
>schools with women's ice hockey, to write one or both of the
>people listed below with comments emphasizing the positive force
>Northeastern Women have been in ECAC hockey and women's hockey in
>general:
>
>Heather Linstad                                 Barry Gallup
>Women's Ice Hockey Coach                        Athletic Director
>Matthews Arena Annex                            219 Cabot Gym
>238 St. Botolph St.                             200 Huntington Ave.
>Boston, MA  02115                               Boston, MA  02115
>
>If you prefer, you can email your letter to me:
>and I will print out and mail your comments to the above people.
>
>With the Nagano 1998 Olympics drawing near, now is the time we
>need to help a still developing sport.  The women's game has yet
>to reach the critical mass of teams it needs to become an accepted
>sport in the US.  Your support is appreciated.

This really comes as a shock when you consider the progress that
women's hockey has made over the last decade.  It seems like such a
step back.  Northeastern has produced a number of quality players over
the last few years and has always had very competitive teams.  I
remember them being our biggest rival when I played for the University
of New Hampshire.  Some of the players that I can think of who came out
of the NU hockey program that went on to play for the US or Canadian
National team are:

   Tina Cardinale - Team USA 1990/92
   Jeannine Sobek - Team USA 1990/92/94
   Shelley Looney - Team USA 1992/94
   Kelly Dyer     - Team USA 1992/94
   Vicky Sunohara - Team Canada 1990
   Laura Schuler  - Team Canada 1990/92

There may have been others that I'm missing as well.  There are also
numerous players who may not have made the National Team, but developed
into very good players as a result of having the opportunity to play at
Northeastern.

The majority of players that go on to play for the women's US national
team take the US college hockey route, so when you consider that
women's hockey has just become an Olympic sport (1998 will be the first
time), this really seems unfortunate.  I sure hope that things will
be resolved.

Andria Hunter

|       ...  She shoots!     ......    She scoooooores!!!                    |
|                                                   _                 __     |
|     z z   .     z z  \_.     z z            z  z           \_\_\      | |  |
|    TEAM CANADA - WOMEN'S WORLD ICE HOCKEY CHAMPIONS - 1990, 1992, 1994     |
|  For women's hockey info via the world wide web:                           |
|       http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~andria                                    |
|  You can also access this info via anonymous FTP to ftp.cs.toronto.edu.    |
|       My files are in the pub/issac/test directory. (see the README file)  |