Sender:
From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 1995 16:22:04 -0400
I know this is a little later than I had promised to start this, but we had
to train a new secretary at Contest Central (don't get your hopes up, guys,
she's only 1 month old and her father is really picky about who she goes
out with) and expand the office a bit (needed room for her crib) but it is
time for the 2nd Annual Hockey-L Regular Season Prediction Contest.

For those of you who missed our inaugural season, the purpose of this contest
(besides wasting up a lot of computer time) is to predict the order of finish
in college hockey's four major DivI conferences: HE, ECAC, CCHA, and the WCHA.
Points are "disawarded" (for lack of a better term) by how far off from the
teams' actual finish your prediction is.  For example, if you pick Michigan
to finish first in the CCHA and they finish 11th (a little wishful thinking on
my part), you get disawarded 10 points.  Add up the total points disawarded
for all 42 conference teams and that is the total.  (It's sort of like golf,
you know, the game with the 18 bases, where low score wins, unless, of course,
you're playing the International.)  Last year's winner finished somewhere in
the low to mid 60's, if I recall (which is what I wish the temperature in
East Lansing would stay like for a while).

Unlike the predictions you may have seen floating around the list, entrants
MUST pick all four conferences for their picks to be eligible for the Grand
Prize, which is...........absolutely nothing.  (Low budget operation, all of
our overhead goes to diapers.)  There will be a "winner" for each conference,
and in case of ties, we have a tiebreaker for each, as well as an overall
Prognostigating Hockey Guru who will receive, of course, absolutely nothing
except the adulation of all his (or her, not to be discriminatory) fans (yeah,
like any of us have any).

Entries will be due by Friday, October 13 at 6:00pm EDT.  DO NOT MAIL THEM
TO THE LIST, or Wayne and/or Mike will kill me (OK, all those people shouting
"Go ahead, go ahead!" are fired!  All except for Veronica.).  Mail them to
me on the entry form at the end of this message.

The tiebreaker for each conference will be the total number of ties for
conference games only in that conference (or, in the case of Hockey East, the
number of shootouts).  In case of two people being equidistant from the actuall
number, lower beat higher.  The national tiebreaker will be the total number
of ties (or shootouts) throughout the four conferences during conference games
only.  Once again, lower beats higher if equidistant.

We are now up to 42 teams with conference affiliation, as we welcome the Uni-
versity of Alaska-Fairbanks to the ranks of the CCHA and wish them well on
all days but January 4, 5, and 6.  The teams and their conference affiliations
are:

Hockey East- Boston College, Boston University, Maine, Mass Amherst, Mass
             Lowell, Merrimack, New Hampshire, Northeastern, Providence
ECAC- Brown, Clarkson, Colgate, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton,
      RPI, St. Lawrence, Union, Vermont, Yale
CCHA- Alaska-Fairbanks, Bowling Green, Ferris State, Illinois-Chicago, Lake
      Superior, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State,
      Western Michigan
WCHA- Alaska-Anchorage, Colorado College, Denver, Michigan Tech, Minnesota,
      Minnesota-Duluth, North Dakota, Northern Michigan, St. Cloud, Wisconsin

Remember, entries are due by October 13 at 6:00pm EDT (first conference games
of the year in the WCHA).  Mail entries to:

And good luck to all (except Michigan, of course).

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University

P.S. Abbreviations are acceptable, as long as I can figure them out.

                 REGULAR SEASON PREDICTION CONTEST

Hockey East                                     ECAC
1.                                            1.
2.                                            2.
3.                                            3.
4.                                            4.
5.                                            5.
6.                                            6.
7.                                            7.
8.                                            8.
9.                                            9.
                                             10.
                                             11.
                                             12.
No. Shootouts in Conference Play =              No. Ties in Conference Play =

CCHA                                            WCHA
1.                                            1.
2.                                            2.
3.                                            3.
4.                                            4.
5.                                            5.
6.                                            6.
7.                                            7.
8.                                            8.
9.                                            9.
10.                                          10.
11.
No. Ties in Conference Play =                  No. Ties in Conference Play =

Name:
E-mail address:

National tiebreaker: Total no. of ties (or shootouts) among four conferences
                     (Conference Games Only) =