Sender:
From:
"Robert L. Dunn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 1995 17:39:26 -0400
To: Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
On Fri, 15 Sep 1995, Matt Wickey wrote:

> To all you Michigan fans out there, I realize there is a lot of history
> associated with Yost Arena, but do you think the university will ever
> consider building a new ice arena?  With the strength of the program
> and the size of the institution, I think it would be justified.

Since we're having enough trouble raising the necessary funds for the current
planned renovation of Yost (was suppose to be completed by the end of
this month, but won't even start until next spring...maybe), I wouldn't
count on seeing a new ice arena any time soon.  There have been a couple
sets of plans drawn up for a complete make over of the building, but
budget constraints continue to keep these plans modest.  The ideal plan
would eliminate the corners and make more of a rounded bowl, but this is
years down the round.  The current plan is to renovate first the north
end and the press box (the currently postponed renovation) and, in about
10 years, renovate/expand the south end.  The way things have (not) been
progessing, I'll believe it when the demolition starts.

Robb Dunn                                          |   [log in to unmask]
The University of Michigan                         |   (313) 764-9429
Division of Kinesiology/Department of Athletics    |   (313) 764-4597 FAX
Sport Facilities Research Laboratory               |