Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 10:03:27 -0400
Ryan Robbins writes:
>They
>should have to earn the right to take part in such a contest.

I don't understand in what way the players did not earn it.  They
played for Maine; thus, they are alumni of the Maine hockey program.

I suppose different people will look at this in different ways.  I
always considered a college hockey "alumni" game to be for alumni of
the hockey team, much in the same way that the Boston Bruins' "Alumni
Team" goes around and plays charity games in our area.  I don't think
any of them graduated from Boston Bruins University.

Besides, the way most schools do it, the purpose of an alumni game is
NOT to honor players.  It is a fundraising event.  As such, I suppose
you can do just about anything you want in order to raise funds - as
long as you stay within the rules.

I tend to prefer JohnH's view that actual honors such as number retiring
should be reserved for graduates.  To the best of my knowledge, Maine
has stuck to this - freshman Shawn Wansborough wore Kariya's #9 last
season, for example.

On the other hand, what about the case where an SA unexpectedly passes
away while still in school - and before graduating?  I don't think any
of us would argue if Dartmouth chose to honor Sarah Devens after the
awful tragedy that just took place.  In fact, I think many would be
disappointed if they did not do something.  At the least, it might
help in the healing process of her family and friends.

I think I would prefer to leave such decisions to the school and not
be so judgmental.
***** Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page under construction at:  *****
***** http://www.tiac.net/users/machnik/MChockey/MChockey.html      *****
** Send comments/suggestions to: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] **