Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 08:38:00 EDT
Ah, clearly a summertime topic. :-)

With fear of opening Pandora's box a little wider, I'll mention
the following:

  Merrimack's Mark Cornforth was just mentioned as being
  an outstanding college tennis player.

  Michigan's Matt Herr (class of '98) played varsity hockey
  and baseball for the Wolverines as a freshman.  Matt was
  drafted by the Washington Capitals and Atlanta Braves.

  Princeton once featured a multi-sport athlete by the name
  of Hobey Baker.

With some thought and input, I imagine that dozens (maybe
100?) of players participated in college hockey and one or
more other varsity sports.

As for an alumni game, I see nothing wrong with including
non-graduated former players.  Yes, most dictionaries will
tell you that an alumnus is someone that has received a
degree, but a more liberal use of the term has become
accepted among the general population.  My father and I
both are considered an alumnus of the first school we
attended, although neither of us received a degree from
said institution.  (Maybe they just want our alumni dollars. :-)
My only beef is that non-graduates shouldn't be honored
with Hall of Fame induction or retired jerseys.  I believe that
sets a different precedent.

John H
U Mich