Sender:
From:
"Robert L. Dunn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 1995 12:30:00 -0400
To: Scott Monaghan <[log in to unmask]>
On Mon, 24 Jul 1995, Scott Monaghan wrote:

> My first question upon seeing the "Silent Concerts" story was "Where's
> the byline"?  There is none.  Nobody at the paper wants to take credit
> for writing a subjective news story based on comments from "insiders",
> none of whom are named.
>
> That's the shoddiest journalism I've seen yet in relation to college
> hockey.  Obviously,  Peter Karmanos has someone's ear at the paper and
> they are too lazy to try and find out the other side of the story.
>
> I believe there is more to this than the paper wants to report and agree
> with John that the CCHA couldn't have pressured this eviction (especially
> if the Jr. Wings were making money).

I think there's a need for more clarification on this story.  I am not
siding with the Detroit Newspapers on this or even trying to justify
their story, but for the record, this short piece was part of a larger
"insider" column on Metro Detroit sports, very similar to the "around the
league" columns you get in a Sunday paper.  I can't recall if an author
was listed on the article, but it was in place of the normal "insider"
column found in the Sunday Detroit News (by-lined by Mike O'Hara and
another writer).

In addition, this is the second article to mention the CCHA pressure in
the Jr. WIngs leaving Joe Louis.  The first article ran the week the
now-Jr. Whalers were evicted (about two weeks ago, before the strike
weakened the papers).

Given the three articles I've seen on this story in the last couple
weeks (more noticeable press than the Jr. Wings got all year), I would agree
that Karmanos has someone's ear at the papers.

What this all boils down to is a Karmanos and Ilitch feud.  They've been
at each other's throat since Karmanos started his Compuware youth hockey
program to counter Ilitch's Little Caesar's league.  With Karmanos buying
Hartford last year, it was only a matter of time before the feud erupted
again.  It really came down to how long would the owner of the Red Wings
allow a competing owner to use his logo and facility (The OHL team could
only be the Jr. Wings while playing in JLA)?

> Karmanos (or people within his org.) wants to create some kind of war
> between Jr. hockey and college hockey.  That's become obvious through his
> increasing pot-shots through the last three years.

I understand that Karmanos has been at odds with the NCAA for awhile on
the elibility issue for OHL players.  Obviously, he would like to be able
to market himself to the players that want to play both major juniors and
college hockey.

> As an aside,  nobody else in the OHL understands why Karmanos wants to
> split a building with the Vipers (Palace) or Red Wings.  Why not move to
> Saginaw or Flint and get a solid market where you are the only game in
> town?  Egos are amazing.

That's probably exactly what it is - ego.  He likes to put his team in
large professional venues (JLA and the Palace).  Saginaw and Flint can't
offer facilities that big.  Regardless of why he wants to play in large
facilities, I'm sure the Palace isn't upset to have those 22 extra event
days complete with concessions and parking revenue.  That's why people
are questioning JLA and the Ilitch's actions.

---
Robb Dunn                                          |GO BEARS!
The University of Michigan                         [log in to unmask]
Division of Kinesiology/Department of Athletics    |W: 313-764-9429
Sport Facilities Research Laboratory               |   313-764-4597 FAX