Sender:
From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 13:18:39 -0400
Yes, there is an award for the national coach of the year - the
Spencer Penrose Memorial Trophy, or something like that.

As for ECAC coach of the year, I guess it's a three-horse race
since the coaches vote and only three teams finished above
expectations according to the pre-season poll; Colgate (Don Vaughn),
Brown (Bob Gaudet) and Princeton (Don Cahoon). Brown was picked fifth
and finished second, Princeton was picked 10th and finished 7th,
and Colgate was picked sixth, I believe (although I'm going from
memory) and finished fourth. Maybe Colgate was picked 7th. Anyway,
Brown and Princeton both made 3 step 'improvements' from the prediction
but Princeton was swept on the final weekend with big stakes at
hand - and Brown, although pummeled by Clarkson on Friday, 'met'
its challenge by pummeling SLU in turn to clinch second. Colgate
also finished hot and made a candidate of Vaughn where he otherwise
wouldn't have been, I'll wager. Gaudet deserves it - he has deserved
any of the last five years, in my opinion, and if coaches are conscious
of the award's recent history he'll get it. On the other hand, Brown
plays a style that often infuriates other teams (and their fans,
apparently, not to mention their bands) - I have often wondered
(obviously not having a real life) whether that has hurt Gaudet
in the past. Cahoon is well-liked by the coaches (and by anyone
who has ever met him, for that matter). Vaughn faces the difficulty
of overcoming the 'head start' the other two had with their early
season success. I'd bet on Gaudet - and, since I'm sure that many
of the coaches or their assistants read Hockey-L or get reports
on what is discussed, I would implore them to vote for Gaudet
regardless of how many times they wanted to climb over the boards
and choke him or his players. Of course, Gaudet will be the first
to admit that his personality behind the bench is quite different
from that away from it - and I think other coaches probably can
may that distinction as well (or I hope).

Geoff Howell
The Trenton Times
Drop the Puck