Sender:
From:
"Michael L. Bohler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 1995 11:32:05 -0500
I have been a Miami hockey fan for a few years now, but it is rare for me to
see them play in an away game.  The tradition of scraping the ice and saving it
after an away win is relatively unknown, even around Oxford.  It is a quiet
celebration meant for the benefit of Miami skaters.  What business this is to
any other team beats me.

Never before have I heard this practice refered to as "scalping", not until I
read a post on Hockey-L.  Is this what other schools, the media, or Miami
players call it?  I'd appreciate it if people thought about this phrase and
would stop using it.

As far as some other comments on Hockey-L about Miami and its nickname: Miami
University's name is inspired by the Miami Tribe that lived in parts of the
mid-United States including south-west Ohio.  Last year the school was in a
quiet turmoil when there were calls to change the school's nickname.  The
University weighed the issue and made the decision to keep the nickname
"Redskins" for all current sports teams.  New teams in the future will get
another nickname.  (Three new women's varsity sports will be added next year -
nicknames are to be determined).

The Miami Tribe supported the University's decision to keep the current
nickname.  They felt that the University reflects a positive image on the Miami
Tribe and the nickname is not used in a derogatory manner.

If you argued to change the nickname, wouldn't you similarly have to argue to
change the name of the school?

Michael Bohler