Sender:
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 1995 11:41:21 EST
Comments:
Warning -- original Sender: tag was [log in to unmask]
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Eric
Rickin <[log in to unmask]> says:

>1) I saw someone in the crowd (around sectrion.. o, maybe) with a
>hockey-l shirt.  Way up high (around row 16)

Eric: That was probably me or Vardu (as mentioned by John Heaussler - argh,
can never seem to get your name right the first time John :-). And, BTW, we
couldn't meet u after the game bcos we went out to dinner immediately after
as we were all starving and it got kinda late...sorry abt that). You are
right about where we were (excellent eyesight u got there :) ) - we were
in Row 16, Section O...right next to a monster beam that cut my sight
off the puck every now and then :(.

>2) A goal that will not be scored more than once in the century: someone
>from BG was dumping it in, it hit the divider between the glass pieces in
>the michigan end.  Turco went out around the net to play the puck, and
>instead of rolling around the boards it ricchchetd RIGHT into the goal.
>Talk about luck..

Yeah...that was a very strange goal, with poor Turco having no chance. I
also felt that it brought BGSU back into the game in a big way, bcos up
until then they were trailing UM by 3-1 and UM was having their way pretty
much with them in that period (2nd). That seemed to show in BGSU's game
in the first half of the 3rd period, as they stayed with UM and got the
tying goal at 3-3. And, Holzinger would almost tie the game singlehandedly
around the 12 min mark in the 3rd, as his wraparound shot had Turco beat,
but missed going in by inches.

The game was closer than it should have been, mainly I thought, due to
some bad luck for UM and some bad plays by UM (a few open net chances
missed). All in all,a good game for an "unbiased" fan :) (better a close
game than  a blowout :-), unless its UMaine playing, of course :-) ).

Regarding the ref'ing, there were a few calls/noncalls that appeared
strange, but on the whole I thought they evened out. And I was not too
pleased with the "Ref, you suck" chant...o well.

This is my first return to Hockey-L after a long absence (even tho, I
have been managing to check the scores :>). So, here's a HI to WTS, Mike
and others :). Also, thanks to Deron Treadwell for all those UMaine
notes that have kept me uptodate with UMaine hockey (very important for
a displaced fan :) ).

Hoping to catch more CCHA hockey in the playoffs,

Cheers
Venky

A Black Bear fan in Wolverine Country!
Go UMaine! 1992-93 NCAA Div I Champs!