Sender:
From:
"Arthur C. Mintz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 1995 08:07:02 -0500
Don't recall seeing this posted here before. This is from a Cornell press
release dated 1/5/95:

Cornell Athletics Undertakes Compliance Reviews

Cornell University's Department of Athletics and Physical Education has
initiated a self-imposed series of comprehensive compliance reviews to
assure its compliance with NCAA and Ivy League rules and regulations.

Charles H. Moore, Director of Athletics, announced that the first review
would involve the men's ice hockey program. In the past two years Cornell
has reported violations related to impermissible housing and meal
arrangements for members of the men's hockey team.

The compliance reviews will be under the direction of Virginia L. Augusta,
Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance, and under the oversight of
Moore and Susan H. Murphy, Vice President for Student and Academic Services
and Cornell's NCAA Faculty Athletic Representative.

Murphy said, "Our compliance reviews will typically involve an internal
audit of current systems used for monitoring various areas of compliance,
as well as interviews with four groups of individuals: current team
members, active members of each team's booster club [note: including me; I
just got my "subpoena" yesterday], current and past coaching staff members,
and curent and past administrators."

Moore added, "We need to be proactive in protecting our student-athletes
with these reviews and have patterned them after a former NCAA compliance
review program. These efforts are in the course of preparing for the
Division I Athletics Certification Program which was started by the NCAA in
1993-94. Cornell will commence its self-evaluation in 1997-98."

Cornell University has one of the largest and most diverse athletic
programs in the nation, with 18 men's and 16 women's intercollegiate
varsity sports involving nearly 1,100 participants.

Arthur C. Mintz          [log in to unmask]          (607) 255-1487
Operations Officer (Acting)
Cornell Information Technologies / Information Resources

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey