Sender:
From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 1995 07:09:25 -0500
Art Berman wrote:

>I remember the 1973 game when BU lost to Bob Crocker's Penn team.  That
>game is the only game in my life when I did *not* root for BU, because
>Crocker was Jack Kelley's long time assistant and he was passed over for
>the coaching vacancy, a real shaft job as I recall even now.  It was
>justice that a far superior BU team was beaten that day.

>In fact, Kelley's replacement, I believe Leon Abbott (?) did not pan out
>and Jack Parker was a mid season replacement.  If anyone with long
>memories has the inside story on that I'd love to hear it.

Leon Abbott apparently left BU as a consequence of the "Dick Decloe
Affair".  Decloe had accepted had some of his secondary school
educational expenses paid for him while playing for the London, Ontario
Knights (OHA) for a two month period in 1970 prior to his matriculation
at BU in 1971.  The situation did not come to light until midway
through Decloe's sophomore season (72-73).  (Decloe was on a freshman
team as a freshman, not the varsity.)

For more details search in the hockey-l archives in April 94 for the
word "decloe".

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74