Sender:
From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 1994 10:51:55 CDT
For those interested...more Gopher reading.
-Carol

Headline: Rookies make an impact for 'U'; Crowley, Kraft a presence at UMD
Publish Date: 10/25/1994
Matthew Cross
Staff Reporter

Duluth -- The Gophers rookie players opted not to take a passive role
in their introduction to the Western Collegiate Hockey Association
last weekend. They introduced themselves.

Ryan Kraft and Mike Crowley highlighted Friday's performance against
Minnesota-Duluth.

At a time when rookies are typically overwhelmed, Kraft notched a
goal and two assists, while Crowley added three assists to the
Gophers' 5-4 victory.

Crowley started the game on defense with Dan Trebil. Kraft centered
Scott Bell and Nick Checco on the second-line offense.
The two also played on the penalty killing and power-play unit.

Kraft scored a power-play goal in the first period of Friday's game
on a booming one-timer from the center of the right circle. He scored
again in the third period of Saturday's game from almost the same
spot.

``There were a lot of jitters at first and a lot of expectations,''
Kraft said. ``I just wanted to be consistent.'' Kraft praised his
line, which accounted for four goals and three assists overall.

Some Bulldogs fans were awe-struck at Kraft's thundering shots and
ability to maneuver the puck through on-ice traffic.

``He's just awesome,'' said Eric Linden, a Minnesota-Duluth season
ticket holder. ``He's going to be a force.''

Crowley played an integral role on the Gophers defense and held his
own along the boards.

At the second intermission of Saturday's game, Crowley, who added two
more assists for a total of five for the weekend, was the last player
into the locker room. He stayed on the ice to motivate his teammates.

``It was about what I expected,'' Crowley said. ``I was just looking
to play, and if the points come that's great, but we've got to play
consistent defense and we did that, so I'm happy.''

Co-captain Justin McHugh was upset with himself after Friday's
game. McHugh and Brian Bonin, Minnesota's projected scorers, only
managed five shots on goal between them. McHugh watched the first-year
players control the game as if they'd been playing college hockey for years.
"It's nice to see them come in and play like veterans," McHugh said.

``I watched them a lot when they were in high school and I knew they
were good, but usually it takes longer to adjust when you move up a
level. They just jumped right in.''

Casey Hankinson also logged some quality minutes on the third line
and registered an assist.

But Jason Godbout's debut was shortened by a minor shoulder
separation. Godbout, who teamed with Greg Zwakman on the second-line
defense, did not play Saturday and is out of action indefinitely.

Despite their ominous presence, the rookies said the games were,
above all things, fun.

Both Kraft and Crowley said they enjoyed the college competition and
that it lived up to their expectations.

Kraft, a graduate of Moorhead High School, was greeted after Friday's
game by a few of his high school friends who made the trip to Duluth.
He said having support in the stands added to the excitement.

Despite the outstanding play of the rookies, Gophers coach Doug Woog
said his first-year class still has plenty of work to do.

Woog noted that Crowley got beat on a number of occasions in the
first period of Friday's game when he took the wrong angles on
defense.

However, if the first two games of the season are any indication,
Kraft and Crowley are going to be exciting additions to the roster.

By season's end, they may not need an introduction.

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!