Sender:
From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 1994 08:01:18 CDT
For your Gopher reading enjoyment!

-Carol
GO Gophers!!!

Headline: Special teams key at Duluth
Publish Date: 10/25/1994
Matthew Cross, Staff Reporter

The key disparity between the Gophers hockey team and the
Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs could only be described as ``special.''

The Gophers' special teams  killed all 16 Bulldogs power plays and
scored six goals in Minnesota's two weekend wins at Duluth.

The Bulldogs scored only one special teams goal and gave way to a
short-handed goal in the third period of Saturday's game.

``It's nice to see our power play with five special teams goals (on
Saturday),'' Gophers coach Doug Woog said.

``We went to the net, and we made some good shots. When you do that,
good things happen for you.''

Woog said that he was impressed with the play of defensemen Dan
Trebil and Greg Zwakman on the penalty-killing units.

Trebil also gave the Gophers a rare glimpse of offensive production
when he scored once and tallied five assists to become the Gophers'
leading points scorer through two games.

Trebil had one goal and 21 assists all of last year.

HENDRICKSON DISQUALIFIED
Midway through the third period of Saturday's game,
Minnesota-Duluth's Sergei Petrov was called offside.

Ignoring the call, Petrov shot the puck at Gophers goaltender Jeff
Callinan and crashed into him.

The ensuing roughhousing started when the Gophers expressed their
feelings about Petrov's actions.

Gophers Charlie Wasley, Bobby Dustin, Jesse Bertogliat and Brian
LaFleur were given double roughing penalties for defending Callinan
and Dan Hendrickson was given a game disqualification for engaging
Petrov.

According to NCAA rules, Hendrickson will be forced to sit out
Friday's game against Wisconsin, but Woog has no qualms about the
call.

``Our guys responded to a violation of a goalie's rights,'' Woog
said. ``I don't mind our guys defending our goaltender.''

Hendrickson got the better of Petrov in a bout that left him with a
swollen right thumb.

GODBOUT INJURY UPDATE
Early in the third period of Friday's game, rookie defenseman Jason
Godbout, the younger brother of Gophers winger Brent Godbout,
suffered a shoulder injury that kept him out of Saturday's game.

Godbout underwent preliminary X-rays on Monday, which revealed a
bruised shoulder.

It was originally thought that Godbout separated his shoulder.
Godbout did not practice Monday and saw an orthopedist that
evening.

He is listed as doubtful for this weekend's home series with
Wisconsin.

LINEUP CHANGES
With Hendrickson and Godbout out for Friday's game, the Gophers will
have to make some adjustments in their attack.

Woog said Monday that the probable plan will be to move center Andy
Brink to defense in place of Godbout. And if first-year player Joe
Pankratz has a good week in practice, he will play on the fourth
line.

The fourth line center position will be up for grabs to whomever wins
the spot in practice this week.

Woog said Brandon Steege is among the candidates.

GOPHERS' SIZE NOT A CONCERN
Woog said he thought the Gophers held their own physically this
weekend and has no concerns about his team's general lack of size.

``We do have some timbers,'' Woog said. ``If all the big guys can
play, and play big, we'll be okay.''

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!