From:
Justin Doherty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Justin Doherty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 1994 19:28:34 CST
I just wanted to comment for a moment on John H.'s statements about media guide
guides (don't worry John, I was not offended by anything you said).

First of all, John is right.  Most media guides produced by SID offices contain
errors of some sort, whether they be typos or factual inaccuracies.  However, I
 have never met (and hope I don't ever meet) an SID who didn't always aim to
be accurate.  But the inaccuracies occur for a few different reasons, IMHO...

1.  Some factual errors are simply carried over year after year.  For example,
    if a record set in 1970 is incorrectly recorded in the 1971 media guide and
    a new SID takes over for the one who made the mistake, how will it ever be
    caught?
2.  In series records, some schools "count" some games and some "count" others.
    For example, when I was at Northern Michigan, I had a different series
    record for the Wildcats-Gophers series than the Minnesota SID did.  Why?
f   The previous SID at one school had counted a "Hall of Fame" game exhibition
    game that the two teams had played, while the previous SID at the other had
    not.
3.  Some schools have counted games against Canadian teams, national teams and
.   others, while other schools have not.
4.  Most SIDs have 12, 15, 20, 25 or more sports to cover and, unfortunately,
    it just isn't possible to spend much time on just one sport.  Therefore,
    you can't sit and research hockey records for hours and hours.  Or any
    other sport.
5.  Media guides have become "recruiting" guide or "yearbooks".  Many guides
    are fancy, well-designed publications aimed as much at attracting an 18-
    year old to attend the University of ------ as they are aimed at being
    informational, fact-oriented publications like one sees in profesional
    sports.  I'm not saying this is bad, but it may take away from the original
    intentions of these publications because more and more effort goes into
    the look rather than the content.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like I'm knocking my own profession.  There are
few things I would rather be doing for a living.  Even if it is an imperfect
one.  And I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for mistakes.  We all
make them.

On the topic of a college hockey record book, I have seen but do not possess a
copy of Drew Finnie's publication.  I would love to try and put one together
with the help of others.  I also think a book of "College Hockey's 20 Greatest
Teams" would be a neat book (how much discussion could we generate from that?!)
Lots of time and effort.  Anybody up for it?