From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1993 12:43:41 EST
To pour some cooling water on Greg's heated offering...

Greg's response as an intellectual purist was quite refreshing to hear.
Learning for learning's sake is something to be valued, something which myself,
and probably most out on the list, have sold out for the house, 2 kids, ...
(but please, no dog!)  The thing that is so curious about the college hockey
fraternity is that is embraces a number of smaller (and some larger)
intellectually challenging institutions of learning.  There are certainly no
UNLV's playing Division 1 hockey.  Since most of us have been exposed to the
life of learning, and have embraced its worth, if only partially,  it seems
offensive to us that anyone would willingly reject the authentic existence of
the life of learning, for the hedonistic pleasures offered by professional
sports.  While we would like to think that college hockey is but a microcosm
within  the world of sports, with its own unique goals and rewards, we have
to acknowledge that it shares the baser traits of professionalism as well.
Careerism, i.e, the BIG $$$, remains an important, if not major, part of
college hockey.  And I certainly doubt that there would be 17,000 fans at
Bradley Arena if it wasn't.
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris