From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1993 11:18:08 CST
Wayne wrote:
> >What does the Hockey-L think of a Soph... taking off for the NHL
> >and not completing their degree. Considering the current situation of
> >other players and their eligibility what does this say about Maine...
>
>    Comparing Kariya to the eligibility problems is ridiculous.  Everyone
>    at Maine would like him to stay (he is an honor student and a fine
>    gentleman), but those that know Paul, know he will complete his
>    degree, but probably not in 4 years.
>
>    The current conjecture is that Kariya will be offered a multi-year
>    multi-million dollar contract after the Olympics.  What would you do
>    in that situation?  That he seems to truely to not have made up his
>    mind, is a credit to his intent to complete his degree.

I'll just chime in from a non-Maine address to agree with that.  He can return
to his education any time, but he only has so much time to play pro hockey.  I
know if I was a college sophomore and someone offered me half a million $/year
(I suspect he'll get more than this) to drop out of school and do something else
for a few years, I'd do it.  I imagine it'd be a little bit harder to motivate
yourself to finish your education when you're a 32-year-old millionaire retired
hockey player, but that's a challenge I think most of us would love to have the
opportunity to face!  :-)

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]         1993 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
[log in to unmask]              Ski-U-Mah!!!