From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1993 09:33:25 EST
John asks:
>The game was never close, but I think BG received the worst of the
>officiating.  In the second period, BG's Pronger was given a 5:00 major
>and game misconduct for a spear which I never saw.  Keith, I forgot to
>ask you after the game, did you see it?  As expected the game was
>somewhat physical and had the potential to turn ugly.  BG's Lune, rhymes
>with goon, was up to his usual tricks late in the game and with 4:42
>remaining was handed a 2:00 minor and 5:00 major, giving Michigan a power
>play for the rest of the evening.  The call may have been warranted, but
>I was suprised to see 7:00 go up for BG and nothing for Michigan.

NOBODY saw the Pronger spear, except linesman Larry Lulich.

The Lune "gem" was right in front of me; 7 minutes was proper. He saw the
ref's arm go up after he hi-sticked someone in the corner, so he
cross-checked him (or maybe someone else) in the face, smashing his head
into the boards. Before the 7 minutes where announced, coach Jerry
York (thinking Kevin got 4 minutes) made Lune leave the penalty box
and skate across the ice to the bench, where Jerry gave him a good
tongue lashing. I could see Jerry signalling that Kevin was supposed
to skate directly to the bench after his penalties were up. The refs
made sure Kev would not get into any more trouble by giving him 7. Mr.
Lune has quickly established a reputation with the CCHA officials.

>Being the vindictive SOB that I am, I'll close with this note.  I truly
>hope that Michigan manages to avoid BGSU and Michigan State in the post-
>season this year.  Leaving Brett Harkins with a 12-1 defeat and Bryan
>Smolinski with an 11-1 drubbing as their last memories of Michigan would
>be just fine.  :-)

Hey, fine with the BG fans if the Falcons never play Michigan again!