From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1993 01:17:44 EST
Killing two birds with one stone here...

Fri 1/29/93
BU 6 at UMass-Lowell 5 (ot)
  Chiefs led 5-4 late before BU tied it and won in OT.  Chiefs blew chance
  to win only 2nd ever vs BU; Terriers sweep season series and are 28-1-2
  vs Lowell all-time.
Maine 5 at UNH 2
  Maine goes to 25-0-2; still only 2 pts ahead of BU but with 3 games in
  hand.
at BC 7 Merrimack 3
  BC got goals from 7 different players in this game that was closer than
  the score indicates; BC's 6th was an ENG and 7th a 5x3 PPG with 0:31 left.
  The loss severely hurts Merrimack's hopes of finishing higher than last,
  as they can only tie BC with a win next Fri and then have a more
  difficult remaining schedule including 2 each vs Maine and BU while BC
  has only one vs Maine.
at PC 7 Northeastern 5
  Surging Friars move into tie for 4th with sweep of Huskies, now only one
  point out of 3rd.

There was at least one, maybe two blown penalty situations by the referees
in tonight's BC-Merrimack game.  I'll describe the one I know was wrong
first, and hope someone can tell me if my perception of the other one is
correct.

1) As BC scored its ENG with 2:03 left to make it 6-3, Merrimack's Teal
Fowler hammered Ian Moran with a vicious hit from behind that touched off a
lot of pushing and shoving.  5 guys from each team wound up in the box.
Everyone but Fowler received minors for roughing, while Fowler got a major
for hitting from behind.  BC was put on a 5x4 power play with only Fowler's
major on the board.  This was unquestionably wrong.  Penalties to 4 players
from each team should have cancelled out due to the coincidental rule, and
we should have been left with Fowler's major and a minor on BC on the
board, giving us 4x4 play.  With 1:29 left, Merrimack's Alex Weinrich
received a minor for roughing, putting BC up 5x3 (should have been 4x3),
and BC scored on the 5x3 with 31 seconds left.

2) The one I think was wrong, but I'm not sure.  In the second, BC's Marc
Beran received a major for slashing at 11:23.  At 15:15, with 1:08 left on
the major, there was a small battle that resulted in several players from
each side going into the box.  Everything at 15:15 cancelled except for an
extra minor to BC's Todd Hall, putting Merrimack up 5x3.  At 16:08,
Merrimack scored on the 5x3, with 15 seconds left on the major and 1:07
left on the minor.  The minor was wiped off the board and Merrimack
remained on a 5x4 for the last 15 seconds of the major.  I thought that the
5x3 should have continued, because the penalty that caused the shorthanded
situation was Beran's major, and since the goal should have counted against
the major, the minor should have stayed on the board.  If anyone (Kenny Z?)
can clarify this, I'd appreciate it.  I wasn't able to find anything in the
rule book that specifically addresses this.  I do know that if the
situation was reversed, i.e. the minor came first and then the major was
called, then the minor should have definitely been wiped out.  It seems to
me that Merrimack was deprived of 15 seconds of 5x3 and then an additional
52 seconds of 5x4 play.  Again, thanks for any help.

I'll be away from Saturday through Monday and then will be at the Beanpot
Monday night, so I likely won't get to see anything until Tuesday nor will
I be able to update the archives till then, so don't panic if you send me
something or are wondering about the archives.  Thanks!
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*