From:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1993 00:07:41 EST
The Gophers  remained winless/undefeated in the UP of michigan as the Huskies
  came back and tied the game with about 8:30 remaining in the 3rd period.

    Both teams played well and either team could have won the game, and due
    to the tie Carol, Erik, Paula and I are sitting here enjoying a friendly
    beer instead of arguing about winners or losers ;-)

           I'll have the details from the paper in the morning, But I'll let
            Carol and Erik add their thoughts to the bottom now

 ********** Warning HUskie Fans *****  MINN slanted material below **********
 ##########Warning Gopher fans...MTU slanted material ABOVE.#########

       Sitting DIRECTLY behind the Gopher bench was quite the aromatic
experience.... ;-)  We could hear some of the plays called and hear the banter
on the bench.  When Brandon Steege scored, coach Mazzoleni came down to the
other end of the bench to bang Steege on the head five or six times. Then
teammate Jeff Nielsen also hit him on the helmet several times with his stick.

      When the Huskie band started yelling SIEVE at the Gopher goalie...we
starting yelling NOT!! after each time.  It was kinda funny!!! (sorry Garrett!)
;-)
      And...Brian Bonin got his FIRST collegiate penalty this evening for .....
roughing. (What a THUG!) ;-)   Now I'm turning the keyboard over to Erik....
-Carol

%%%%%%%% Warning hockey fans %%%%% Erik-slanted material below %%%%%%%%%%%

OK, another tie (as if we haven't seen enough already this season), but
the Gophers still have yet to lose a game in Michigan this year.  Of
course, it's kind of tough trying to move up in the standings one point
at a time.

Paula and I may be the first fans ever to wear Gopher ear hats in the McInnes
Student Ice Arena and live to tell about it (so far, anyway).  The Tech
fans have been really nice or, at least, tolerant.

The Gophers extended their WCHA-leading shorthanded-goals-allowed total,
giving up yet another one tonight.

We have spent quite a bit of our time out of the arena with Bob Gilreath and
family.  If we are driving them crazy, they have shown no signs of permanent
damage yet.

Bob points out that as it was too cold to view the snow statues today, we
went bar touring instead.  We visited the infamous Library (now I can write
this one off as a business trip ;-) ) and the Downtowner Lounge.  If in need
of a drink in Houghton, I can recommend either location heartily.

We met two of the original members of the ZAMBONI FAN CLUB this evening, as
well as fellow HOCKEY-Ler Lefty Coffman.

Tomorrow we hope to see the Gopher end their tieing ways and bring home the
McInnes Cup!

-- Erik