From:
Patrick E Fleming <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick E Fleming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1993 11:47:18 EST
Laura writes:

> I share your frustration with fans who support the team only when all is
> going well and the team is winning but complain constantly when the
> team is loosing.

I agree.  But if you really want to know the frustration of a "fair-whethered"
fanship, consider the frustration of losing your team do to a lack of fan
support.  My guess is that the folks at Ferris State, for example, have a
new-found appreciation of how important it is to support the team - even when
it is down.

In the fall of 1982, the descision came down that the Notre Dame team was to be
dropped from division I satatus and that was certainly a hard pill to swallow.
Fortunately, for the Irish, hockey-l member Ric Schafer came along and has
worked some of the magic he worked at Alaska-Fairbanks and now the team is
drawing despite not being very competative in the standings.  Bowling Green
also enjoys good fan support despite having had an off year last season.  And
of course it just kills me to talk to the Lake Supperior State fans who drive
13 hours to Cowlumbus to catch their Soo Lakers against the Buckeyes!  (of
course they are the defending national champions . . .)

At any rate, there are many ways to develop a strong fan base.  Many of the
things a program can do have nothing to do with game night.  It just takes some
creativity and holding on to your best assets.

     - Pat

- Department of Chemistry ----------- Sometimes I see me as an old manatee ----
- Ohio Wesleyan University ---------- Heading south as the waters grow colder -