From:
Jeremy D Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeremy D Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1992 19:36:33 -0500
     Well, just like most of the traffic in the Northeast, the University of
Toledo's 37-game winning streak came to a screeching halt Saturday at the
Penn State Ice Pavilion, as the #1 Icers defeated the #10 Rockets 12-3.
Friday night's game was cancelled, as Toledo got stranded in some place called
Brookeville, PA.  As for Saturday's game, the score was PSU 2, Toledo 1 when
the first period was halted with 3:23 remaining.  Apparently, a Toledo player
had to be carried out on a stretcher (I didn't see this...I came in during the
first intermission as the PSU vs. James Madison B'ball game went into OT...
Penn State won 75-74, if anyone's curious, but I digress).  So, a 23:23 second
period was played, with Toledo on a 5-minute 5-on-4 situation, scoring once to
tie the game at 2.  The Icers then took over, scoring on a 5-on-3 and 5-on-4
to make it 4-2, and they never looked back.  It was 6-2 at the end of two,
and Toledo could only manage one goal in the third, as Penn State scored six
times (including once on a goaltender who was wearing some other team's
uniform...) for the 12-3 final.  Toledo, who had a perfect season last year
(29-0-0) en route to the ACHA Division II championship, had won their first
8 games as a member of Div. I, but now fall to 8-1-0 on the year (still 2-0
in the Mid-West League).  The Icers extended their record winning-streak to
14 (14-0-0 overall, 3-0-0 Atlantic League), and tied their longest unbeaten
streak.  Penn State's next game is on Fri., Jan. 9 at ACHL rival Rhode Island,
and then a non-conference game at WPI on the 10th, before returning to the
Ice Pavilion for a two-game series with Michigan-Dearborn.

Unfortunately, I have no box score at this time (like I said, I missed the
first three goals...), but will post it if I can find it.  Instead, here's
a breakdown of the first half of the season:

Overall Record: 14-0-0
Overall GF:  128
Overall GA:   22
(Avg. GF 9.14, Avg. GA 1.57)