From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:00:07 -0500
Matt Sullivan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Since when can't you hit a player when their head is down???  We teach our
> Mite's to keep their head up when in possession of the puck.  If your a playing
> at any level, not just D1 hockey and think you can stick handle with your head
> down, you'd better stick to intramural hockey.  When I played defense if a
> player took a peak on a one on one situation they were going to get hit.  If
> it's not from behind (gutless play), a charge, or an elbow then it's not against
> the rules.

Yes, you should teach everyone to skate with their head up. BUT -- Head
contact is against the rules in USA Hockey too.

For those of you who are involved in youth hockey (or adult hockey), the
USA Hockey rule:

Rule 616 Head Contact/Head-Butting

(a) A minor penalty, major penalty or a major plus game misconduct
penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, shall be assessed to any
player who intentionally or recklessly contacts a player in the head,
including with the stick or by an illegal body check.

(b) A major plus a game misconduct penalty shall be imposed on any
player who injures an opponent by head contact (see Glossary).

(c) A major plus a game misconduct penalty shall be imposed on any
player who “head-butts” in such a manner as to in any way foul an
opponent.

(Note) “Head Contact/Head-Butting” may also be treated as an Attempt to
Injure or Deliberate Injury of an Opponent under Rule 603.

It DOES NOT MATTER AT ALL if the player is skating with his or her head
down. The other player must make every attempt to avoid head
contact. BTW the same applies for the checking-from-behind argument.

I'll include info on the NCAA rule in my answer to a different post.

  --david