From:
"J. Michael Neal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2011 10:25:06 -0500
On 3/28/2011 9:32 AM, Matt Sullivan wrote:
> Since when can't you hit a player when their head is down???

Since we started learning just how damaging concussions are.  If you
derive enjoyment from watching people suffer brain damage, I can't stop
you.  I, however, have been opting out pretty rapidly.  I can't watch
NFL football anymore, and I'm losing patience with the NHL.
Fortunately, I discovered that women's hockey is a great game, with a
much lower injury rate.

Given how large and how fast the players are today, the only way you're
going to stop the escalating rate of concussions is to prevent hits to
the head.  It doesn't matter whether the checked player's head is up or
down.  Either eliminate those hits, or you'll see a continuing parade of
players to the hospital.  The research being done on concussions in
sports is frightening if you care about the players' well being,
particularly the evidence that an accumulation of blows that do not
produce concussion symptoms can do serious long term damage.