From:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2008 12:53:04 -0800
While protocol matters would mostly seem trivial, I guess it is better that they are incorporated into the rules to make things run more smoothly. What bothers me about them is how they are called so infrequently. For example, at the start of the second and third periods, only starting players are supposed to step on the ice. All others are supposed to proceed directly to the bench. Every game I've been to this year the rule has been completely ignored. I just looked at the most recent rulebook I have at home (1999) and those found online for 2008-10 http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/2008-10_MW_IceHockeyRules7ff9e6ab-7d20-441b-b768-522bfb15c487.pdf    and the rule remains the same.

I recall several seasons ago watching Providence play in successive weeks a team from Boston and another from the northernmost reaches of HE (both which have/had coaches known for playing the officials) ignore the rule and not be called. My memory is fuzzy on why that stuck with me, perhaps it was that PC had been called for the infraction the week before. At the time I simply noted the further evidence of certain coaches getting more latitude than others.

BTW, I see nothing in the Protocol section about players having to proceed directly to their locker room at the end of a period but I suppose it could be somewhere else in the hodgepodge of rules.
- Bill Schneller