From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:08:13 -0600
As I recall, the CCHA welcomed UAF while the WCHA didn't.  And flying
semi-great circle routes, the CCHA schools are nearly the same distance
away as the WCHA schools.  It would have made more sense to me to have
the two Alaska schools in the same conference, but then that would have
put an extra travel burden on the non-Alaska schools giving them two
trips to Alaska instead of one to make the typical conference schedule.

And FWIW department on offensive names, I heartily second the comments
by Clay Satow.  Nothing could be more offensive than "Chief Wahoo" so
where is the outrage to change that?  Sports teams are supposed to be
aggressive, to be fighters, and being aggressive (at least in sports)
has positive value in our society.  Hence, being called "fighting"
anything is hardly an offensive use of the adjective.  This all boils
down to the term "Sioux" as part of their nickname.  Correct me if I am
wrong, but Sioux refers to a group of native American tribes and isn't
their name for themselves - its one the white man gave them.  Hence,
can it be said they truly own exclusive rights to that name?  But I
digress - I just don't see calling a sports team "The Fighting [pick a
term]" as pejorative.

Tom Rowe