From:
Nathan Hampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:42:41 -0600
I am in a very negative mood today, so since I am on a roll, there are some
real problems with this article:
(1) 3. At the game, sit where the scouts sit ... NHL scouts usually sit in
the corners of an arena, usually halfway up or higher. THIS IS ONLY BECAUSE
THEY WANT TO AVOID CONTACT WITH OTHER PEOPLE, NOT BECAUSE OF THE VANTAGE
POINT. HIGHER IS BETTER THAN LOWER, BUT CENTER IS BETTER THAN A CORNER.
BETTER ADVICE IS TO SIT AWAY FROM THEM BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WANT TO BE
BOTHERED.
(2) 7. Watch how teams deal with emotion. TEAMS DO NOT DEAL WITH EMOTION,
THE COACH DOES. AUTHOR MISSED A HUGE POINT HERE. SHOULD SUGGEST WATCHING
WHICH LINE IS PUT OUT AFTER A GOAL IS SCORED FOR OR AGAINST. OR WATCHING HOW
LINE COMBINATIONS MAY BE CHANGED, INCLUDING WHO IS SAT OUT FOR A GAME. SOME
OF THIS IS MENTIONED IN "10. Watch for coaching adjustments," BUT BELONGS
HERE ALSO.
(3) 1. To see the game like a pro, first you need to prepare like a pro
THIS MISSES THE MOST IMPORTANT FORM OF PREPARATION - MAKE SURE YOUR
REFRIGERATOR IS FULLY STOCKED!!!!!!

Nathan Hampton

Actually a very good and serious article. But only about 25% of the people
at a game would follow this advice. Most are there to root for the team
wearing the same color as them. Objectivity, as the article is stressing, is
not why people go to games. Also, the most important missing point in the
article is no mention of the referee, what the rules are and the realm of
judgment calls, correct positioning and major responsibilities of the
referee, etc. Okay, negativity time is over. I am going to my box for a two
minute "time-out".